BrightSide Animal Center seeks an experienced executive director to carry forward our high-save mission. We urge qualified candidates to read this job description. If it sounds like a match for your skills, please follow the directions to contact us.
Executive Director Job Description
The executive director reports to the board of directors and manages key employees:
- Shelter Manager
- Thrift Store Manager
- Medical Director/Veterinarian
- Administrative Assistant
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Ensure that there are appropriate systems and resources in place to manage day-to-day operations that include:
- Fundraising and money management
- Administration of animal shelter, thrift store and any future facilities
- Development and delivery of programs
- Education and outreach
- Compliance with animal-welfare standards and local, state and federal laws.
2. Champion the organization’s high-save mission.
3. Cultivate effective relationships with community and business leaders, donors, potential donors, volunteers, local veterinary providers, public officials, other animal-welfare organizations and media; serve as the spokesperson for the organization.
4. Define roles, set compensation, hire, fire, train and supervise management staff in accordance with the organizations’ policies, procedures, applicable regulations and contractual obligations.
5. Assure that managers are doing the same in supervising their direct reports.
6. Assure that the animal-care staff applies the standards of care that have been adopted by the association for shelter veterinarians, and follow best practices in environmental enrichment, behavior modification and dog training for “high-save” shelters. Assure that euthanasia, when necessary, is performed safely and humanely. Assure that handling of controlled substances complies with regulations of state and federal agencies.
7. Maintain volunteer morale, retain valued employees and provide opportunities for staff’s career growth as appropriate.
8. Manage risk by maintaining a workplace safety program, complying with workers’ compensation requirements and assuring that the organization’s insurance is adequate.
9. Prepare written reports to the Board of Directors, attend monthly board meetings, and work with the Treasurer to prepare an annual budget for the Board of Directors’ review each year; present approved budget at the annual membership meeting.
10. Grow BrightSide Animal Center as a recognized resource and leader in animal care for the region and the state.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education/experience.
- Successful prior experience managing a 501c3 nonprofit, preferably an animal-welfare organization.
- Commitment to BrightSide’s high-save mission.
- Demonstrated success in fundraising and donor development.
- Excellent communication, problem-solving, management and analysis skills.
- Willingness to work evenings or weekends as needed.
To respond, e-mail cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org